Friday, July 13, 2012
Mississipi Mud pie
To make the pastry:
1. Sift 225 gms of plain flour and 2 tbsp. each of cocoa powder and caster sugar.
2. Rub in 150 gms. of cold butter (cut into small cubes) with fingers until the mixture is more like bread crumbs.
3. Incorporate this together using 2 tbsp. cold water until it becomes one ball of pastry. Wrap this in cling film and let rest in the fridge for about 15 mins.
4. When ready, roll the down to a 9 inch pastry dish. Use your baking beans placed in a baking paper to weigh down the pastry and bake in pre heated oven at 190 degs C, for about 15 mins.
5. Take out the baking beans and bake the pastry for a further 10 mins.
6. Melt on a double boiler, 150 gms. of 70% cocoa baking chocolate bar.
7. While you wait, beat with electric mixer, 175 gms of soft butter and 300 gms of brown sugar.
8. Gradually add 4 eggs (slightly beaten) and 2 tbsp. cocoa powder.
9. Add the melted chocolate to the mixture. Then add 300 ml of cold single cream.
10. Lastly, add 1 tsp. of vanilla essence.
11. Pour the mixture into the pastry, lower down the oven temp to 160 degs C then bake the pie for another 45 mins.
Note: The mixture will start to melt. Don't be alarmed. It will set right back.
12. When done, let the pie cool completely before transfering to a serving dish. Cover with whipped cream and decorate with chocolate flakes or curls. Chill, then serve.