So today, I focused on this unique dish. For people who likes liver, this should be on your top 10 list of your most favourite, at least.
* I start off by cooking 1 cup of porridge rice (in 3 cups water and ½ tsp. salt).
The recipe I found called for 1 cup of long grain rice. You can use that of course. I just think that porridge rice has more texture to it. And if cooked properly, it could be as good as the sushi rice. Please wash the rice at least twice.
* Butter up the sides of 2 pieces 1 Liter baking pans, or 4 pieces of 500 ml.
* When the rice is on 'al dente' stage, turn off the heat and pour 2½ cups of milk. Stir and set aside.
I used whole milk just because everything taste so good with the creamiest possible. You can of course use non-fat or regular milk.
* Heat up 1 tbsp. of olive oil and fry about 150 grams of bacon until crisp. Chopped up to crumbles. Set aside.
I used a 6 liter wok for this, coz I work better with woks and since this will yield more than 3 liters, its better to have more working space.
* At this point, turn on your oven to 175 degs C.
* In the same wok with the oil left from the bacon, saute 1 finely chopped medium onion, until its limp.
* Add to this, the rice and milk mixture and stir for about 1 min.
* Pour in 4 tbsp. of dark syrup. (You can find this on the shelves right next to the sugars and honey)
* Add to this 1½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. white pepper, ½ tsp. marjoram and 1 cup of raisins. Stir for 1 min.
* Add 400 gms. of mushed beef liver. (It is easier to chop the liver into cubes first, then freeze a bit, before mushing it in a food processor. Chopping it with knife may leave you with big pieces)
* Turn off the heat, then stir in bacon bits and 2 lightly beaten eggs.
* Pour in the mixture equally to the baking pans, and bake for at least 45 mins to an hour on middle rack.
* Serve this with puolukka/cowberry jam. Enjoy!